submitted by firstname.lastname@example.org
Do you like helping others? Would you like professional experience and training that looks good on your resume? Change a child’s life this summer by joining Summer Reads, an AmeriCorps VISTA program at Minnesota Literacy Council. Each year, approximately 75 VISTAs serve in pairs at one or two placement sites in summer schools, libraries and community organizations across Minnesota, with the goal of helping children in grades K-3 improve their literacy skills and fight the summer slide. Under the mentoring of an on-site supervisor, VISTAs serve in a variety of program environments. They may use the site’s curriculum or design their own lesson plans; work with children one-on-one or in small or large groups; act as a classroom assistant or lead a program themselves – depending on the placement site.
Summer Reads VISTAs serve full-time for 8 weeks (10 weeks for Outreach Specialists) from June to August and are not permitted absences for vacations or personal time. With prior approval from Minnesota Literacy Council, they may hold additional part-time jobs or take college courses during the term of service.
Required qualifications include:
• At least 18 years of age at the time of placement (June 11)
• A U.S. Citizen, National or Legal Resident, Refugee, Asylee, or have DACA status *
• Must be able to clear a general background check, including a search of the Sex Offender Public Registry
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Must be able to speak proficiently in English and read aloud to groups/individual children
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail