submitted by firstname.lastname@example.org
Summary of Position
Augsburg’s Director of Alumni Relations and Annual Giving leads a comprehensive program for advancing the University’s engagement of its alumni as well as all current/future benefactors to the Augsburg Fund and core mission support. Supervising a team and many leadership volunteers, this position is a visible leader who inspires others and connects their work with the overall goals of the institution. This position serves on Institutional Advancement’s leadership team and reports directly to Augsburg’s Vice President for Institutional Advancement. The Director of Alumni Relations and Annual Giving will develop and execute a comprehensive program for alumni relations, lead strategies to identify and engage alumni and friends that will support Augsburg’s mission, increase pride and awareness of Augsburg, and grow participation rates and dollars raised for the Augsburg Fund and core mission support.
– Identify, cultivate, solicit and steward individual benefactors with gifts potential up to $2,500, with an emphasis on alumni and parents.
– Engage and actively manage a portfolio of 50+ alumni donors and prospects for personal solicitations, including members of the alumni board.
– Lead strategies and execute plans to deliver on fundraising goals for the Augsburg Fund and core mission support.
– Lead, manage and hold the team accountable to annual and quarterly key performance indicators.
– Act as primary staff liaison for Augsburg’s alumni board, organizing and executing board activities, committees work and alumni events to support institutional priorities that may include mentoring, networking and fundraising.
– Develop and execute strategies for engaging Augsburg’s diverse alumni base.
– Coordinate with campus partners including the Strommen Center for Meaningful Work.
Leadership, Management and Supervision
– Assisting the Vice President of Institutional Advancement in planning and implementing divisional priorities and strategies.
– Serving on institutional leadership groups, task forces, and committees as assigned.
– Develop, manage, and administer the departmental budget.
– Supervise and manage staff, volunteers, and student workers as needed.
– Set quarterly and annual goals and complete regular evaluations including detailed work plans.
– Foster professional development and training of staff.
– All other duties as apparent or assigned by supervisor(s).
Augsburg Fund and Core Mission Support
– Lead creation and implementation of comprehensive fundraising campaigns to promote and grow contributions to the Augsburg Fund and core mission support.
– Manage goals, strategies and programming that engages Augsburg’s donor base, with a strong focus on donor acquisition and continued/increased giving.
– Create and manage a process for successful giving day campaigns that engage the alumni board, board of regents, key leadership volunteers, campus partners and a broad base of benefactors.
– Partners with the team to create, track and manage all annual solicitations, keeping current with the most effective annual giving strategies in higher education.
– Employ creativity, ingenuity and follow through for all annual giving campaign details.
– Communicate regularly with the Vice President for Institutional Advancement, Chief Financial Officer and other key leaders on strategic areas of core mission support.
– Lead a comprehensive plan to manage communication strategies for Institutional Advancement coordinating with the Vice President, Senior Philanthropic Communications Specialist and Communications Specialist.
– Lead and partner with the university’s marketing and communications department.
– Oversee the work of Augsburg’s communication specialist and consultants as needed who create and push out messages through direct mail, websites, social media, video, email, and through other channels that support Auggie engagement and annual giving donations.
– Create and execute communications by mail, email, and through social media.
– Oversee participation in key communications and marketing initiatives in which alumni, parents, and/or donors are targeted as recipients. This includes Augsburg Now, web, social media, and printed and/or electronic communication and marketing initiatives.
– Work closely with Advancement Services on list building and data management that are essential to accurate and targeted communications.
– Oversee the development and implementation of all alumni programming including events, volunteer engagement, mentoring and travel opportunities.
– Create and implement strategic engagement strategies with Augsburg’s diverse alumni base demonstrating both short and long-term prioritization.
– Creating and implementing short and long-term strategic plans for building engagement through volunteerism, event attendance, and financial support.
– Lead recruitment, recognition, and retention efforts of alumni volunteers.
– Lead all aspects of Augsburg’s Homecoming including reunion celebrations while coordinating all efforts with events, athletics, and other members of the advancement staff.
– Lead all processes pertaining to selection and distribution of alumni awards and honors.
– Seek ways to support and assist admissions in the recruitment efforts that connect to alumni.
– Lead meetings with the alumni board and their committees.
– Speaking to and being a visible leader and connector for groups including Augsburg Women Engaged, the A-Club, and others.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
– Typical work environment is in an office.
– Regular computer keyboard and monitor use.
– Potential for longer work hours, which could include evenings and weekends.
– Travel: up to 25% local travel, 5% non-local and overnight travel.
– Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines.