submitted by email@example.com
The Department of Multicultural Life strives to be a national leader in multicultural student success and social justice education within higher education. Through collaboration with key departments, offices, and individuals; the development and implementation of cultural- and social-critical educational programming; and the focused mentoring and support of historically underrepresented student populations, the department works to co-create a university environment that allows for all members to fully engage in the entirety of their collegiate experience.
Position General Statement of Duties
The Director of Multicultural Life reports to and works in consultation with the Vice President for Equity and Inclusion. This position is responsible for the day-to-day leadership of the Department of Multicultural Life at Augsburg University, in addition to the supervision of five program managers and a program coordinator. The work of the Department of Multicultural Life is essential to the promise of the Augsburg University mission and the individual in this role has the opportunity to make a significant impact on the university and the students it serves. The ideal candidate will be a dynamic leader with experience in higher education, student development, community engagement, and social advocacy and will have a strong understanding of the multiple cultural and social identities that are a part of the human experience.
– Work in tandem with Vice President for Equity and Inclusion in order to develop long-range strategic planning and program development for the Department of Multicultural Life.
– Create and implement programs and services designed to increase the recruitment, retention, matriculation, and ultimate graduation of underserved students.
– Supervise Program Managers to ensure that Multicultural Life programs and services support the university strategic plan, the university equity and inclusion framework, and the mission of the department.
– Develop the annual Department of Multicultural Life budgets, in consultation with the Vice President for Equity and Inclusion, and manage it throughout the fiscal year.
– Provide ideas and guidance to the university on its initiatives focused on the needs of underserved students.
– Work closely and on an ongoing basis with outside departments such as: Academic Advising; Campus Life; Campus Ministry; Center for Global Education and Experience (CGEE); Center for Wellness and Counseling; Center for Learning and Accessible Student Services (CLASS); International Student and Scholar Services; McNair Scholars Program; Registrar’s Office; Residence Life; Sabo Center for Democracy and Citizenship; Strommen Career and Internship Center; Student Financial Services; TRiO Student Support Services; and Undergraduate Admissions for the overall success of underserved students.
– Manage University Inclusion Scholars Program, e.g. student database and correspondence, student workshop registration, workshop scheduling and attendance tracking, student evaluations, etc.
– Manage Scholastic Connections Program, e.g. coordinate logistics, review, and ensure student compliance and engagement.
– Gather and analyze department data in order to assess the overall needs of underserved students (i.e. to establish learning outcomes for programs and services; to highlight student learning, engagement, and progress; to improve graduation rates; to demonstrate evidence of student needs, etc.).
– Manage and review Multicultural Life Department student scholarship records and requirements, e.g. track progress, create reports, etc.
– Design and conduct presentations on various diversity, equity, and inclusion-related topics across the University community in order to achieve the missions of the Multicultural Life and Equity and Inclusion Initiatives Departments as necessary.
– Schedule and lead regular department meetings and supervisory meetings with program managers and program coordinator.
– Serve on university-wide, divisional, and/or departmental committees as appropriate.
– Serve as a community liaison through outreach opportunities, networking, recruitment, and mutually beneficial relationships for the University.
– All other duties as apparent or assigned by supervisor for the success of the Multicultural Life Department and Equity and Inclusion Initiatives Department.
View Job Posting